Welcome to the UC San Diego Drosophila Stock Center
The Drosophila Species Stock Center (DSSC) at the University of California, San Diego is dedicated to providing a diverse array of Drosophila species to scientific researchers and educators.
- Week of March 27th-31st(2017-03-17)
Due to staffing constraints, no orders will be processed or shipped between March 27th-31st. Please plan accordingly when placing your orders. Sorry for the inconvenience.
- EDUCATION MODULES FOR BIOLOGY LABS USING DSSC FLIES(2017-03-11)
We would like to emphasize the use of our Drosophila stocks for education purposes and have thus started compiling a list of such publications. Please contact us if you are aware of additional publications to add.
1. Parker et al. (2004) An hypothesis-driven, molecular phylogenetics exercise for college biology students. BAMBE 32: 108-114. Any wild-type stocks of the following species could be used: D. arizonae, D. melanogaster, D. mettleri, D. mojavensis, and D. nigrospiracula
2. Heil et al. (2012) Witnessing phenotypic and molecular evolution in the fruit fly. Evolution: Education and Outreach 5:629-634. Stocks used: D. simulans (14021-0251.138a), D. simulans (14021-0251.195), and D. simulans (14021-0251.199)
Recent Publications Using DSSC Flies
- OVIPOSITION PREFERENCES FOR ETHANOL DEPEND ON SPATIAL ARRANGEMENT AND DIFFER DRAMATICALLY AMONG CLOSELY RELATED DROSOPHILA SPECIES(2017-01-16)
Sumethasorn, M., Turner, T.L. (2016) Biology Open 5: 1642-1647.
- DISSECTION OF SIGNALLING MODALITIES AND COURTSHIP TIMING REVEALS A NOVEL SIGNAL IN DROSOPHILA SALTANS COURTSHIP(2017-01-16)